Friday, July 24, 2009

BLT Challenge | The First Bread

P7220076

Since I made my bacon with a pancetta cure, I decided to give my BLT an Italian motif. The first bread I chose to make was Craig Ponsford’s ciabatta from Artisan Baking by Maggie Glezer. I had recently purchased the book and wanted to try the technique. It wasn’t until I searched on the internet for help after my seeming disaster (which I’ll show you a bit later), that I found out that it is many baker’s favorite ciabatta recipe.

-----

The day before you are ready to mix the final dough, you make the biga (pre-ferment of flour, water, and yeast) and let it ferment for 24 hours.

P7210036

This biga is made from unbleached bread, unbleached all-purpose, whole-wheat, and whole-rye flours with water and a tiny bit of yeast.

-----

P7220067

Here’s the dough fermenting under plastic wrap.

-----

P7220073

During the beginning of fermentation, the dough is turned every 20 minutes. By this point at the end of fermentation it should be a bit stiffer. Unfortunately, a thunderstorm came up in the middle of the fermentation and I didn’t feel confident enough to add much flour at this point.

-----

P7220074

I was afraid to proof the loaves in a couche or tea towel, no matter how heavily floured; so I used floured plastic wrap. I had read when forming ciabatta not to make it less that 3/4” thick or it might puff like a pita. This dough was so very slack, I didn’t flatten it at all. It flowed to this form. Ah well, I’d gone this far; might as well bake it.

-----

P7220078

There was no chance the gloppy loaves would slide off a peel. I used a wide spatula and hope to flip them onto parchment paper. I was feeling a bit better…this didn’t look so bad.

-----

P7220080

Um, this looks awfully puffy.

-----

P7220082

Oh, NO! It’s a ciapita!

-----

P7220086

I had a rye Old-Fashioned. I felt a bit better about the whole thing.

-----

P7220085

It looks good like this. Maybe people will just think I’m petting the lovely ciabatta, not shoving the ciapita monster's snaggle-toothed jaws shut.

-----

P7220087

It was really good dipped in pesto made from the basil in my garden. The holes in the crumb hold nice, big globs of it.

-----

P7220105

No comments:

Post a Comment