Saturday, July 25, 2009

BLT Challenge Entry | Best Interpretation of a Classic

P7230131 

Italianate BLT

Since I made my bacon with a pancetta cure, I decided to give my BLT an Italian motif.

The Components

  • The First Bread “The Ciapita”, Craig Ponsford’s ciabatta from Artisan Baking by Maggie Glezer using commercial yeast.
  • The Veggies Homegrown cherry tomatoes (I wish I had thought to grow some Roma tomatoes), lettuce grown indoors in my AeroGarden (you can hardly grow lettuce outside after February in South Louisiana), and homemade pesto from my basil.
  • The Mayonnaise Hand-whisked using my neighbor’s free-range egg (I trade him bacon for the eggs; our breakfast club) using Michael Ruhlman’s recipe from Ratio.
  • The Bacon Home-cured, pancetta-style, hickory-smoked (can I get another adjective?) bacon using Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn’s recipe for pancetta for the cure mix; and following the instructions for hot-smoking bacon in Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing.

The Construction

P7220100

Salt and drain cherry tomato slices.

-----

P7230123

Apply mayo to top and bottom of bread and skim a bit of pesto on the bottom.

-----

P7230124

Distribute cherry tomatoes over the bottom. I like the way the small slices are easy to eat without pulling a slice of tomato out of the sandwich.

-----

P7230126

Add the lettuce and fried bacon.

-----

P7230134

Oh, my! This was good

No comments:

Post a Comment